Sunday, July 23, 2006

Three Day Overdue, or, BORED

Things I did not do today:
I did not practise any of the 40 steps of how to tie a baby sling.
I did not write my address 35 times on the envelopes of the birth announcements that will want sending out some time in the not all too distant future.
I did not do any ironing.
I did not discuss baby names in writing but I'm told by Jose that 'Romy' is not acceptable as, in Spanish, it is the cupboard you put under the sink in the bathroom. 'Antonia', too, is inacceptable as Spanish Antonias are ugly, cross-eyed, and at least 80 years old, I am informed by daddy Jose Antonio.
I did not make the baby's bed.
I did not give birth.

Things I did do today, in that order:
I got really really badly bored and frustrated.
I grew more stretch marks centre-tummy. Then I got a little depressed.
I got my act together, marched into town, had a coffee and got to bump into my boss Janet as a reward. That was NICE. As a result, I cheered up immediately and remembered that there are other lives out there that are less pleasant than mine at present - lives in which people have to go to offices and work, not grow babies and stretch marks! (We will revisit the subject of the relative pleasure of my present life during labour.)
I ate all that Jose put on my plate, including the third helping.
I watched 'Whale Rider' and decided that maybe 'Paikea' is a nice strong name to put on The List. (To be discussed with daddy J.A. He has opinions.)
I got my paperwork out for another visit to scan-man tomorrow at noon (statistically this should be a scary bad news visit since the one a fortnight ago had been reassuring).

But tomorrow is another day, and we still have 13 hours and 11 minutes to that appointment. Who knows, the baby may be (on its way) out by then.

No comments: