Thursday, July 20, 2006

D-Day (Due-Date)

I'm such a hopeless show-off. Don't ask me how, but yesterday I somehow managed to tell about ten randon strangers that the baby was 'due tomorrow'. Strutting through the very un-British heat proud like a queen and stolz wie Oskar (It's hot hot! But see me? Hugely pregnant with the most beautiful of tummies and out and about I am! Uncomfortable? Weak? Miserable? Phah! Not ME! I'm tough!), I told
3 ladies at the next table at Croques where I was having lunch (they were asking!)
1 man at a market stall (he was asking!)
another 1 person at another market stall (he too was asking!)
1 nurse at nursery when picking up Sonja's kid (she was commenting how loooow the tummy had sunk since the last time she'd seen me, which counts for asking)
another 1 nurse and adjacent mother (who looked impressed and made comments similar to the one above, which too counts for asking)
1 Tesco delivery man (who was, very simply, asking)
"So when is the baby due?"
Alex (proudly glowing): "Tomorrow, actually." (I'm cool! I'm tough! I'm up and about in this heat, and I'm so!! not a whimp!)
And I actually only blushed the first time round!

After the Tesco man, though, Jose locked me in and declared the end of the day. Which was fine by me. I was actually very hot, sticky and exhausted (what a true and proper idiot to go out on a hot day like that, just one day before one's due date!).

If I'm perfectly honest, I can't actually believe I'm having a baby. Lovely tummy missile, little feet poking me in my side, little bottoms (one assumes) building and collapsing pyramides in my middle... all very well - but a BABY??? Was it only yesterday that I claimed I was READY???
Oh dear... not so sure now... but I am sure I'd enjoy walking about town today telling people that the baby is due TODAY. I'm not quite sure how I made everyone ask yesterday, but surely the selfsame sophisticated mechanism would work again? If not, would anyone I haven't spoken to recently mind giving me a call or send a text, pretend they don't know, and innocently ask me when the baby is due then? Andy perhaps? Jennifer? Vanessa? Anyone??

11 hours 48 minutes into due-day and not a sign of pre-labour activities.

No comments: