Sunday, November 15, 2009

Breakfast in Bed (Day 10)


Does anything compare to a mummy-trained, pancake-baking daddy who gets up first on a Sunday morning and delivers yummy jam pancake rolls for breakfast in bed with babies a little later? It certainly is a step up from toast in front of the telly, and we're enjoying it considerably. It's also a good way to start a Sunday, or the tenth day of your life: For Leo, there's loads of midnight snack flavoured milk now, and jam pancake roll flavoured milk later. Tasty!

Talking about food, the young gentleman has a healthy appetite and a very fetching degree of greed and sensuality. Is it that he likes to eat all the time? Or just cuddle and suckle? On occasion he will happily look around or look at and listen to me coo to him for a few minutes - he's a bit more impatient with his loving sister's cuddles that leave him a bit scrunched up in a womb style fold-over hug - but while awake, he usually calls for The Boob before he even bothers opening his eyes. Then, he goes into hour-long loops of drink - fall asleep - wake up remembering he was drinking and calling loudly for being rejoined to The Boob, which of course he is... can't refuse my gorgeous son his heart's desire WAH WAH WAH, or his tiny tummy's. The only thing that gets in his way are his little fists. Does he flail his arms in panick, worrying there will be no food? Does he try to catch The Boob and make sure it goes where he wants it? Either way, he tends to clap them into his face with a vengance, and I end up fighting little fists before I can feed him. Tcha, Leo, so much to learn in life; why don't we make that your first lesson: TRUST Mummy, no need to fight!


So much eating, of course, has consequences for the little man! Serious weight gain! By day ten, midwife Lou confirmed today at her visit, a breast fed child should have regained his birth weight - Leo has put on 165 grams to boot. I'm proud. I'm also a bit shocked I'm showing off such silly details - I'd quite forgotten what early motherhood does to one's view of things! It's a good job I never really talked politics before, so there's not much of a chance I'll put close friends off forever...
Also, of course, so much feeding has consequences for the be-boobed mother! Serious weight loss! By week ten I expect to resemble a stick figure, so bring on the pancakes, Jose... and I hope you never took stock of the chocolates we have in the cupboard or were, God forbid, hoping for a share? Erm... it was LEO who ate it all up!


PS.: The last picture is not exactly a mirror image of Tara's pic of being weighed - but they somehow do look like the same baby: see here for comparison.
For Tara's Day 10, click here.
... And I've let my precious child go hungry to write this, with only daddy's finger for a dummy / pacifier WAH WAH WAH - just like in the old Tara days like here.

So many memories! It's such fun loving two babies at the same time!

4 comments:

Mommy, Papa and the 'Nuts said...

I love that middle smiling photo SOOOO MUCH, I wish I had taken it...
(the bottom photo he looks EXACTLY like Jose.)

xoxo
Where have we both been all weekend? I have not seen you on FB....darn.

Scott & Yael said...

Such a beautiful boy! Nice weight gain! It's funny how these things work for me - Aiden nurses A LOT and very frequently still, and I am still 10 lbs away from my pre-pregnancy weight. Oh well! Hope for you it takes a lot faster to lose it all.

Nirit, Thiemo, Lia and Ben said...

Thata boy!
And thank you for leaving me this gorgeous message on my answering machine! Your cute breathing certainly took my breath away...
Kisses to Tara and Taro.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the safe arrival of baby Leo, The blow by blow report makes great reading - how do you do it !!!!! Feels like we were with you all the way - that is every step of the way. What a beautiful baby and so healthy looking too - there is definitely a family resemblance.
Well done to you and well done to Jose and Tara for taking such good care of you - I just know you will all share many happy years as a family unit - the love and family warmth shines through the written word
Take care - Janet