Thursday, August 03, 2006

Tara's Prayer


We didn't mean to have her baptized, but it seems the Spanish Catholic heritage will have it's own way with our Pumpunita! And being his daughter's father, Jose knows exactly what's on our little girl's mind and was able to put her prayer into (Spanish) words for mummy:
'Santa Teta, danos leche. Santa Teta bendita. Quedate chiquitita y danos leche.' (Holy Booby, give us milk, blessed holy booby. Stay small and give us milk!) (Excuse me?!! SMALL??!!)
This was two days ago, and the prayer did do wonders. Tara's and mummy's technique has improved, and dinner times are less painful now - it has even become safe to stay within kicking distance when she latches on. I am grateful. As a consequence, Tara's changed her feeding pattern and now needs a one-hour-snack every 1 1/2 to three hours, rather than a 1 1/2 hour feed every five hours. I'm not sure I'm grateful for that, as it means four feeds a night, but at least she is now displaying more traits of her mother, which again I am grateful for.
Of course, you can guess what I'm praying for. As is daddy: 'That's it! In the morning I'm taking her back! You can have a kitten instead!' Not a very holy thought...

(Sorry for display of breasts clad in nothing but my suckling child!)



She is a week old today! Exactly seven days ago I was building up to pushing, at 7.22pm still in a shared room and embarrassed about my, erm, vocalisations, until the other woman behind the curtain also started retching and moaning (I wonder, had she had a tuna sandwich too?).
Today the cord stump has come off, we're so proud! She's getting bigger by the hour, soon she'll be going to school...

No comments: