Thursday, August 24, 2006

A Glorious Four Weeks





Here she is, in all her exactly-four-week-old glory (compared to her four-day-old darling self)! So she's nearly a month old today. To mark the occasion, Mummy made her first dinner in over a month (a tin of tomatoes, two tins of random beans, some frozen sweetcorn, three authentic carrots and some ready made chili-con-carne flavourings - no carne as there was none in the freezer; and some cous-cous. Delightful), and daddy clutched the sleeping child to his flat chest (put her down and she'll scream murder, guaranteed) during dinner. Oh the luxury of facing a plate without juggling Tara!
I did point out earlier that (an hour and nine months ago) I didn't quite know what I was letting myself in for - let me just repeat that I really didn't. Over the last week Tara has taken to suckling non-stop with only the occasional break to sick some of the excess milk back up (hence no blogs). Nappy wastage has picked up as a consequence. My shoulders ache. My tummy has mostly disappeared, partially because that's the cause of events, and partially because I just never get to the fridge while i'm glued to the sofa with an infant that performs creative yoga stretches with my nipple stuck in her mouth. Jose is back at work and cannot feed me on a regular basis. And on some days my social life consists of few text messages and a visit from the health visitor. But I have no regrets, there is plenty compensation. I adore snuggling up with her for the night (she sleeps in our bed and the only family member who ever leaves it is daddy ;-), listening to her little snuffles and other little sounds she makes, bathing with her is delightful, and a bit of skin-to-skin gets me so high it renders me unable to do anything but coo and rave for hours after.

Pumpuni has started fixing her gaze on interesting things like daddy making funny sounds, and turns her head to follow such attractions. A few first smiles nearly seemed intentional, revealed two cute dimples, and who do you think they were for? Why, daddy of course!

Still waiting for the smile that can be repeated...

Happy and contented after a suckling marathon (a rare pose)

Mummy cuddles

Daddy is the best. Of course. Who else?! And daddy's fingers are quite nearly as good as mummy's ouchy nipples!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diskriminierung!

DvR will auch mit Foto mit Nihcte in den Blog!!!

Aber bitte ein bisschen dallig!!

Anonymous said...

like mother like daughter?!
so young and the first fashion accident already? i see two different socks an these adorable small feet, tss! mummy, what have you done? or daddy?
it's charming though ;O)

loads of kisses to my beautiful baby niece from her aunty claudia - at least one for these round, cuddly cheeks (each), one for this perfectly shaped small version of the herrmann-nose and one for the magic spot on her forehead that makes her close her eyes.