Friday, January 09, 2009

Working Mum, Working Babe

Name: Mummy Alex
Occopation: Office Fairy (p/t), Mummy (p/t)
Loves of my life: Tara, Jose, Pole and Photocopier
Education: Yes, but not excrutiatingly relevant to present life *sniffle*.
Most valuable lesson learnt in 2008: Being a SAHM is not for me, it leads to depression.
Aspirations for 2009: Become Office Champion, pick up all the extra courses and training I can get, practise gratefulness in all walks of life, enjoy every minute spent with Tara, grow to like this town, attend every class of pole and burlesque the gym offers, start practising yoga at home, and contemplate the purchase of a large enough house.
Mantra of the week: I must not spend all of my first week's salary on new shoes and a new handbag.

There. My official employee photo. Working life has reclaimed me, and I'm liking it. Possibly, we're even liking each other, working life and me, although the jury's still out on that. My head swims a little still and thinking is fuzzy rather than sharp, but I'll cut myself a little slack on having been out for 14 months. Also, nexzt time I realise on Saturday that I forgot to check the answering machine on the phone on Friday, I shall NOT have nightmares about having forgotten do do things the next night.

We're still adjusting to a different pace of life at home. Tara handled the first three weeks of nursery 8am-3pm very well, but didn't really want to get up at all the last two days, and went to sleep on me as soon as we got home. The TV is on a little too much (Shrek 1,2,3 and nothing else!), and dinner was a little unhealthy and improvised over the second half of the week - not that I'm complaining! Any Shrek is still funny the 38th time round, and since I got access to delicious lunches cooked by the student chefs of one of the county's best catering colleges... Na, I'm not complaining! Plus, the first week's salary will cover a new handbag (already sitting on the chair next to me) along with the nursery fee, and maybe even a nice new shoe, or even two!


Tara isn't complaining either, except when she has to get up early and has not had enough sleep and does not feel like leaving bed: "Ich b(r)auch mein' Papi! Nein kuscheln Sally, nein kuscheln Tina (Kigatanten). Ich will mein'n Papi!" (I need my Daddy! No cuddle sally, no cuddle Tina! I need my daddy!) But put Shrek on, and she's happier. Or give her dried Mango for breakfast, that will buy her cooperation any day. Also, Tara has observed half way through the week, she's nearly old enough to go to work now too. "Mami, ich schon g(r)ößer. Bald ich geh arbeiten auch." She's a great negociator, there's a chance she'll get far in life... For now, her job is to produce works of art at nursery. The one pictured is entitled "It's Fiona who lives far far away."

Jose? No complaints. I'm chirpier after all, and Tara "b(r)aucht" him - even if at night she's quite forgotten about it and shouts "There's no room!" when he knocks on the door. Oh yes, and Jose's favourite Shrek is Shrek II.


Shrek I-III. We love it. All of us. Even the socks do.

12 comments:

Scott & Yael said...

You go working mom! I can't wait for the day I get to go back to work part-time. That will be one glorious day indeed. With all due respect to my wonderful Liam and his soon to be wonderful brother, my brain needs a different kind of stimulation at times, not to mention some adult interaction! You look very happy!

Alexandra said...

I feel happier too, I don't just look it ;-)

Mommy, Papa and the 'Nuts said...

Work? BAH! I love spending all my husband's money! Now, only if he were actually rich, it would be much more fun...

Mommy, Papa and the 'Nuts said...

Darling Alex, if I hired you, you'd be in charge.

Actually, I guess I'd be in charge, but then, if you were in charge, you could hire ME. Yes, I hope you soon have a job were you could be in the position of hiring...umm hmmm, Boss-Lady sounds more fitting a job for you I think.

Alexandra said...

Darling Brands, if you hired me, or I you, we'd either have some major competing going on, or we'd be tremendously successful together. We'd have to do different things though. You do photography, and I do... erm... what is it again that I do?

Alexandra said...

Boos lady sound just about right, in the grand scheme of things. Right now, my brains are too fluffy still to remember where I put the keys.... erm... what keys?

Nirit, Thiemo, Lia and Ben said...

Ok, haven't I taught you ANYTHING??? After years and years of polishing our friendship and new shoes and shiny new bags?? What's that stupid 'mantra of the week'?? Ts.

Nirit, Thiemo, Lia and Ben said...

It's time for you to move closer to me. We'll find you a job in creative writing that is highly paid, a British Nanny, and for José a job that includes explosive chemicals. Personal shopper and hot coffee waiting. Shiny new bags all waiting to be bought with FIRST MONTH'S SALARY!
PS. I'm your co-worker and co-shopper in crime, of course.

OK, ok, pole included.

Alexandra said...

Cordes, my gal, looks to me like you're the one doing the moving these days. I move closer to you, you move on, and I'm buggered! Na, I'm staying where I'm at, I already got my new bag, I picked a nice pair of red hot shoes and my first salary is coming in in a week! Maybe I buy you TWO cards saying "Happy new Home" though, with all that moving you doing!

Nirit, Thiemo, Lia and Ben said...

Bag bought with salary a week away? That's my girl.
Ok, I can live with a card.

Kai's mum said...

You are happy indeed! Especially for the happiness of having a new handbag and some hot red shoes! They are the treats of getting a job, and getting sharper thinking and getting more mature people interaction.
But, don't break your mantra of the week too often - sorry, you know me, always the person who says things too conventional. :-)
Happy for you and your lovely little family~

The Allen's said...

being a SAHM has it's pleasures, but I, like you, needed the adult interaction and my own identity beyond 'mother' and 'wife'. And buying lovely shoes and bags with your OWN money is definitely a perk! Just blew a whole lotta cash myself on 3 pairs of shoes, 2 handbags and some ridiculously expensive boots.....