Friday, September 05, 2008

Spinach Cake

A few weeks ago, Jose and I had the following conversation - not word by word, but essentially it ran like this:
Jose: Why don't I make spinach cake for dinner tonight.
Alex: You mean that incredibly finger licking delicious concoction that in seven years of mostly cohabiting you have not mentioned even once, that one that is so tasty I'll be wanting to ask for it every other day henceforth, and that is so good and full of spinachy iron that you should have fed it me throughout the whole pregnancy two years ago instead of that daily portion of salmon, and that is ever so quick and easy to microwave in a rubbish bag (clean) that it's the perfect lunch or supper, not to mention the fact that your bonny spinach deprived daughter loves it and eats it very merrily?
Jose: That's the one.

Well, then. It's a recipe the world must be told about.
1. Take a clean rubbish bad, but really any other bag will do too; you will also need a microwaveable bowl of ca. a large hand's or a short foot's length.
2. Fry one or two gloves of garlic until golden. Then add two chopped up onions, then a portion of bacon/pacetta (ca. 150g). Add half a bag of frozen spinach (ca. half a kilo), then season (salt / pepper). Let cool down a bit after spinach is fully defrosted.
3. Stick your (rubbish or other) bag in your bowl, and put three eggs in it (minus shell), together with ca. 50g of Tara's very favourite Red Leicester cheese (cubes).
4. Pour your fried things into your (rubbish or other) bag, and mix everything well inside said bag.
5. Close bag, place in bowl again, punch a few holes into the top, and microwave at full heat for 10 min.
6. Set aside to cool down, cut bag off, slice, and enjoy like ME!
Hmmmmmm...

PS.: Really, that idiotic picture should show my own stupidly rapt face.

PPS.: Says Jose, "Gosh, I absolutely and resolutely forbid you to use that picture of me looking a complete dimwhit, unless you also post one of me looking really gorgous and handsome, for good measure." What can I do...

My lovely live-in cook

It nearly went unnoticed, what with the weather being so glum and us all so busy, but yesterday it was five years exactly since we both came to live in the UK, Jose with a PhD to start working on, and me with an open return ticket and no idea what lay ahead. Ah, sweet Leicester; what a strangely beautiful and exotic place we came to... But I'm drifting. When it comes to Leicester, all that Tara talks about is RED Leicester... If I'm not mistaken we are now allowed to apply for naturalisation, even. So. Stick a candle in that cake when you make it. It belongs there.

9 comments:

Alexandra said...

Hey Brandy! I know, I mentioned iron-spinach and prgnant friends... STILL not a hint, though!

Mommy, Papa and the 'Nuts said...

Ah, shit. I was SURE it was! Especially since you mentioned your hunky live-in-cook and all...hmmm....maybe we just need to WAIT for s future blog post to make it official...

Nirit, Thiemo, Lia and Ben said...

Spinach! YUM!!!

Mommy, Papa and the 'Nuts said...

Maybe if I come and take some photos of those spinach bellies, a baby might sprout in there someplace? Eh? you think??

Mommy, Papa and the 'Nuts said...

An hey, why don't you stick your little "blog follower" thingy on your webpage please so I can "FEED" into it!

Nirit, Thiemo, Lia and Ben said...

Is this a spinach background or a new 'outfit'? Looks nice! Though Lia is a bit sad that the 'balls' are gone....

Mommy, Papa and the 'Nuts said...

Wait, no, its RED!

Mommy, Papa and the 'Nuts said...

I'm a creature of habit, don't you know. Go find your balls.

Alexandra said...

Balls, then. Still not sure, and grieving for incompatible birthday ticker!