Friday, June 01, 2012

Prince and Princess (Red 'n Blue 'n White)

Prince Leo
In the run-up to the royal festivities we've gone all red 'n blue, and a bit of white.
Festivities and celebrations at the school, more of the same at the nursery; even I'm tempted to go to work with a union jack painted across my forehead, and bunting hanging from my frocks.
But it's Tara and Leo who are invited to dress in red-white-blue (or comes dressed as their favourite queen, king, prince or princess).
Princess Tara 

Oh the drama before we're ready to enjoy the celebrations! (Cause I'd be lying if I said we all enjoyed every moment of it.) Six or seven outfits I've lined up that I feel meet the requirements. But my girl and I have a different understanding of what constitutes blue, and what black (I have the fashion industry on my side, but Tara scores with higher levels of stubbornness), and whether a tiny bit of green here or orange there might be permissible (No, I can't ring the school. It's late at night, there is nobody in the office. No, I also refuse to call them in the morning just before we leave the house. Sorry.) We're also a little sad that the plaster cast is only pink and glittery, not red with blue glitter.
My poor Tara is reduced to tears, the night before he school honours the Queen's 60-year reign, and Mummy throws a most suitably red-hot tantrum along the lines of "I have 32 years of life experience ahead of you why can't you just believe that I know what I'm doing and do as I say just for once!" (Honest. I think I need a party too.)
But the next morning runs smoothly, the girl is out of bed and dressed red white and blue before my feet touch the floor, and, we understand, has had a wonderful time at the school, and then some more at her friend's house at a screening of Barbie.
"Mummy, I was a bit of a fusspot yesterday, wasn't I," she says at bedtime. Well, ahem. A fusspot fit for a queen. Well, ahem. Just like her mum.


For the love of crown, cookie and brother and sister


Leo arrives at the nursery in blue and red, and shyly accepts a golden crown at the door that he then wears with pride for the next few days, and the next few nights. "Where mine crown? Where is mine crown, Mummy?" it is when the crown is not sat right on his curls. On a windy walk through town he pins it to his head with both hands, for fear it might be blown away. At night I have to peel it off his head carefully after he's fallen asleep. Leo loves his crown. Leo loves his new identity as royalty.

Of course it's not far off his general experience of who he is.
"Who's mine sugar cake?"
"Me!"
"Who's mine sausage pie?"
"Me!"
"Who's mine prince?"
"Me!"

And my crowned prince looks just as royally delightful in his underwear as he does in red and blue. I get the camera out, my kids think they're being filmed and put a late-night jubilee celebrations show on for me. A speech about their days! Song! I'd love to say it was the national anthem, but actually it's more like Bah Bah Black Sheep and Twinkle Twinkle. Which is just fine because they're not singing for the Queen after all but twirling and twinkling for their mum.



And just because they are so fabulous, here are some essays from students at Tara's school (one year up from Tara).

If I were Queen...

"I would buy everything in the world and put the pictures up on my palace wall and also the cooking things in my big kitchen. The cook would go in then too and I would bring my servants with me. I would go in a plane and meet everyone in the world. The left over food I would give it to the poor.
My palises will be made out of chocolate, sweets, ice cream, brik metal wood and plastic."

"I would help Africa. I would do it because they get disease and they would have to work so the first thing I would do is get some doctors.
I would tell everyone instead of eating 5 a day it would be 20 a day also I would give naughty people another chance.
Every Book Day I would give each child £10 to spend on books."

"I would let all the poor people stay at the palace and give them money to buy a house. I would give the prisoners more of a choice. I would do this with my friend Hollie.
I would meet everyone on their birthday. I would provide birthday cake for everyone in the world. I would let people go to different countries on their birthday."

"I would buy 1,000 tickets to the Olympics I would buy them because it is fun. I would take my whole family. I would buy for poua Oliympics, football, athletics and rugby.
On Sunday everyone had to wear a hat.
On Saturday everyone had to wear a blue top.
I would buy 1,000 dogs, 1,000 cats and 1 penguin. I would have a pet room.
I would have 10,000 dressis and 11,000 knickers."

"I would ban prison because if people are naughty sometimes they can still live and you really shouldn't break the law any way. I would do it the old fashioned way by putting people on the cross instead.*
I would stop the war because I don't like people getting hurt and poorly**, and it must be really sad leaving your children (if you're a lady or possibly if you're a man).
I would send my servants to help the poorand I would pay for wells to be dug and food to be grown because people should never be without food and water as they might die. I would help all the charities and pray to God and Mother Theresa. I would exercise every day and I would stop people from killing animals like cows and pigs."


"I fight you, Mummy!"

What can I say... LONG LIVE THE QUEEN! (And our lovely children.)

* I'm not making this up.
** I'm really not making this up!

1 comment:

Nirit, Thiemo, Lia and Ben said...

These two I call very devoted British citizens with very convincing royal manners.
Ich verbeuge mich. Tief.