Sunday, January 06, 2008

The White Cliffs of Ramsgate

(and Broadstairs)

So, have you been wondering at all just what daddy got up to while his girls were away?

Here you go:
He watched lots of war documentaries (Good stuff daddy, this is BEST done when we're away!).
He did quite a bit of floor scrubbing and general cleaning (Great stuff, daddy!)
He treated himself to a Jack-the-Ripper-tour of London and a lengthy visit of the British War Museum (Without us? How dare you?!... Naa, kidding. The last time we went he took roughly 597 pictures in just under six hours, so I think I've seen enough of the place. Daddy's a bit of a FAN...)
AND he took a six hour walk down the shore.
Obviously great fun stuff, all of it. The girls, once returned, were persuaded to repeat at least the last trip with him, and enjoyed themselves tremendously. Largely...

*** before I write on I just need to get this in: I MISS LEICESTER I MISS LEICESTER I MISS LEICESTER! Now, that said, on we blog ***

...because it is a tremendously beautiful walk (if somewhat long)! Down to Ramsgate harbour, to the very end of the East Cliff, across a bit of uncultivated beach, and onto the beaches of Broadstairs. Back via promenade, road, and through a little forest, past one or two stunning houses, and back into Ramsgate at twilight, slightly jealous of Broadstairians, but never mind.
And here we go. A few scenic pics for all prospective visitors, who can be assured they too will be persuaded by hook or by crook that these 4 hours are a great way to spend an afternoon. We haven't got the largest shops any more, but we got SHELLS!

Broadstairs (coming up from the Ramsgate beaches)

Broadstairs - a town that collects benches

White cliffs - white stairs (broad stairs)

A bad coffee later we're on our way back 'home'

One day we'll write Tara's name out!

Some wanna-own houses coming up - location, location!

Marching back into Ramsgate (hours later...)

Ramsgate harbour at twilight

Ramsgate City Centre

Tara seems ok with being at home here as longs as she's got grapes...

As you can see, no picture editing or selection on this one - I just post the lot cause they're pretty. Of course I don't want you to get the wrong impression - Tara still is the star of this entry. Not the sea, not the shells, not the beach. Tara always is the star. Except perhaps when she's not wanting to go to sleep at night, but that's another story entirely!
So today, Tara took her first proper (self-propelled) walk on an English shore. She wibble wobbled a bit, stared at her feet in slight confusion over the new sandy medium, and then set off, straight to the water where a dog was running in and out of the waves at roughly 0 degree celsius. Mummy straight after. Icy water might be ok for a dog, but while dogs are ok for Tara, the water isn't just yet. So. Rescue by mummy, great lamentations over the loss of the dog (which splished off into the impending sunset), and very quickly back to the pushchair where grapes, cheese and raising were beckoning.
Grapes, yum! Cheese, yum! Raisins, yum! Dogs aplenty, bliss! Excellent day all around.

6 comments:

Nirit, Thiemo, Lia and Ben said...

Excellent blog entry. Which reminds me: we forgot our grapes at Thiemo's parents. But then we have no beach anyway. Yes, grapes and beach should always go together. My parents have raisins! Grapes - beach(/sun) = raisins. I think raisins are allowed.

Anonymous said...

"AH! Gorgeous! Wish you were here!" (now, which movie is THAT quote from???)

I think you guys look awfully sweet on the seashore and it just looks so beautiful! Have I told you about my obsession with chilly rocky seashores in shades of gray in places like Maine? Yep, LOVE them. Seriously.

-Brandy (I can't remember my blogger account password damn baby sucking brain cells already...)

Alexandra said...

OF COURSE we look exceedingly fetching and romantic! Wouldn't you just love to get us for a photo shoot in a location like this lovely mainly ENGLISH one?
Now on this other issue - I can be quite good with hints you know - are you going to announce in the comments section of my blog? I mean, you're welcome to! But you can also hide a guest blog on mine and see which of your visitors makes it onto my page first? Just let me know!
X

Anonymous said...

OK, here goes...

I'M PREGNANT! DUE IN JULY! JUST STARTING TO SLEEP/WEAN LORENZO but hey, why not latch another booby baby on the other side for kicks?!

No, we're happy (aside from knowing we won't sleep again...) and Lorenzo WILL be happy I'm sure after like, oh, a year or so.

Really, most of the family knows but maybe a nice blog ultrasound photo is in order? I'd hate to say it, but I think this one is going to be CUTE! (Spit for Nirite!)

Yes, love to do a shoot in sunny...oops, I mean seashorey England because yes, it is quite fantastic and dreamy. Yes, I am a little jealous even if I'd whine about the cold probably 85% of the time we were collecting seashells on the seashore...

-Pregnant Lady still no password.

Alexandra said...

well well pregnant lady, that's still pretty anonymous, but fine by me now that I've dragged the confession out. July is an excellent month. Just stay away from 27.07. that's Tara's and if we go about sucking stylish expensive presents out of aunty nirite then we best be fair and spread it out. You can have the beginning of July for your cute offspring. There. That's agreed. Excellent. Now happy puking, and that password will surely come back one day...

Mommy, Papa and the 'Nuts said...

Its baaack! (My brain, that is...)

We will be baked completely, says the doctor, by July 10th. We're fine on the presents, thank goodness. What would we do otherwise? I'd have to explain to 'Bruno' that Tara was here first and rightly deserves the better gift. Thankfully there is no need for explanations and Nirite is free to spend buckets of Euro and Dollars on both of our precious children. Lucky Nirite!