Sunday, August 08, 2010

FOUR

My (former) baby is four, and I can hardly believe how big she's grown. Clever, original, and a right little monkey (in a very quiet way), a cuddly bed bug and a loving (if toy snatching) big sister. She takes my breath away with bouts of gratefulness and good manners, with the enthusiasm with which she makes her baby brother laugh (oh how he adores her!), and with the originality and attention with which she observes her world. (Such an eye for detail!)

Tara remains shy (outside of small familiar groups and settings, that is) and remembers her last birthday as a bit of an overwhelming experience. "There were too many people that we didn't know, did we, Mami?" is her take on the huge group of nursery friends that were / are not her "best friends." This year she requested a birthday with Oma, Opa, Tante Claudia and the rest of the family in Germany, and although it did concern her that her few and carefully selected "best friends" would not be able to come to her party, her wish was my command. (Phew!)

"Happy birthday to Taaraaaaa... happy birthday to meeeeee!"

Ummm... I've got soooo much more to say but it's near midnight and there is a long week of holidays and house buying arrangements ahead so... Fingers crossed I'll find the time to come back and rewrite this pitiful little entry that's so unworthy of my pink princess girl :-(

Happy birthday, my love. (No guests other than family, and the day was utterly exhausting anyway. But I think you enjoyed the bit before you collapsed while Mummy went for a massage. I think; I hope; I love you.)

Princess cake, anyone?

Buying a house seems to take up as much time and energy as having another baby - twins perhaps? - and I barely remember that we even have a blog; It feels like I am about 30 entries behind, and lying awake at night writing them up in my head isn't quite the same, unfortunately.

2 comments:

Scott & Yael said...

Happy Birthday to beautiful Tara! I can't believe Liam will be 4 before we know it too. She is precious. Both your kids are precious. Wish we could meet in real life. And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who is awake at night, writing long-overdue blog entries in my head...

Kai's mum said...

Happy birthday to you, Tara!! Sorry I didn't send you a single word on your birthday, which I clearly remembered, as you are the person I know have the same birthday as I (although the birthday is not my real one). I didn't forget that, I hope to catch it up soon.
Alex, I have to read all your previous entries, as I also want a clever, original child with all good manners. :-)