Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Proof of the Pudding...

What do you do with a little girl ("Mummy I'm a grown-up, right?") who skips any dinner at the thought of any sugary pudding ("Tara, you've got to eat 5 more spoons full of your dinner to earn points for your pudding!") at Christmas? You buy her plenty cakes when you're out for coffee? Perfectly correct. But above all, you introduce her to the Christmassy art of baking. Not that I remember a single recipe of all those that we baked with our mother when we were kids, but they are easily gotten hold of (Christmas Baking with Children - recommended!).

Now, the dough comes first. I proceed like this: Prepare the dough in child's absence. Then, while trying to cook some dinner with one had, clutching a five-kilo nursing baby to one boob with the other, somehow manage to knead and roll the dough with the aforementiond first hand while supervising Tara's cutting out of cookies and helping out with, ideally, a third hand. Half way through I accept the fact that I cannot stop the flour from going onto every inch of floor and into every crack that presents itself on tables or chairs - I've reached the maximum of my multi-tasking abilities! For that reason, too, the decorating is postponed to the next day. I need a break! (Tara is upset.)

Decorating cookies in five easy steps:

1. Place infant on next-best surface that presents itself in order to free hands. Get out cookies and remaining ingredients as quickly as possible. Note: Placing infant on table in presence of older sister is a bad bad bad idea as older sister will pull infant off table in a well meaning attempt at placing as many kisses on her little brother as physically possible. Before disaster hits, proceed as follows: Take a picture for the blog, THEN save the baby and place him somewhere safer. Feel guilty for only the briefest of moments; we got cookies to ice.


2. Get daughter to prepare icing. Note (1): Baby safely stored in background. Note (2): It does NOT help to inform Tara that icing consist purely of sugar.


3. Follow instructions to "spread icing thinly onto each biscuit with a knife." Then, "sprinkle on decoration." Note: Baby in background, stored safely, happy.

"Tara, show me your first biscuit!"

3. Add more water to sugary icing; we're way too slow and it's dried before we get any decoration on. Actually, we're way too slow at anything and anyway, the intructions are ridiculous. Drop them. Following her first biscuit, Tara has stopeed decorating and has started eating; first her biscuit, then the sugary decoration. Bit by bit. Slowly. With great appetite. I'm doing this alone! Proceed as follows: Chuck all decorative sugary elements into one bowl. Dip cookie in icing, dip cookie in decoration - done - next. Note: Baby, stored safely, is NO LONGER HAPPY.

Hmmm, pink sugar, bit by bit

4. Pick up unhappy baby, clutch to chest and insert nipple into infant's mouth to lighten his mood. Proceed with double dipping process one-handed. Note: Tara has found a way of speeding up her sugar consumption as well, as pictured below. Great. We're nearly done.

Hmmmm, pink sugar, by the tongue full

5. We're done. Leave cleaning to the man of the house and get biscuits out of the way so some get to make it through to the next day. Find somewhere safe to put baby and make some dinner, quickly, in case the child that's just eaten half a ton of sugar can be persuaded to have some real food. Note: Put away £2 for dentists' bills later in life. We'll be paying for this. What's wrong with nuts and oranges, anyway? They're much tastie, and much, much easier to prepare for eating!!!

Mummy, my pink sugar is all gone!

So then, as the saying goes: The proof of the pudding is in the EATING! I've had to try that sugary stuff my daughter loves so much myself. It doesn't taste of sugar, it doesn't taste of pink. It tastes of CHILDHOOD!

(7.12.)

15 comments:

Mommy, Papa and the 'Nuts said...

Do I need to promise you our version of this same scene, or do you already know I'm lying and you'll see it in a month? ;)

Mommy, Papa and the 'Nuts said...

p.s you CAN'T trick me woman...i can see perfectly that those are CAT cookie cutters, as in HALLOWEEN?! Shame on you...

Mommy, Papa and the 'Nuts said...

AND WAIT! Sprinkles from yet another holiday?!Whats that?!...VALENTINE'S day?!

The Allen's said...

you forgot to add 'click photos of each stage' into your multi-tasking abilities! In first pic, I thought for a moment that Leo was a doll of Tara's!!!

Alexandra said...

Nonono! The colours and cutters have nothing to do with any other holidays, they're just what we have: a cat, a dog (not used) a crocodile and a wriggely circle. Pink - Tara's choice. Brandy, don't tell me that all the colours you allow over Christmas are red and green (like the themed season M&Ms)?!
Tanya - He might as well have been a doll; we have to fight for his right to sit in his chair/lie in his basket/etc every other day, and Tara will be crying "But but but MYYYY babies want to sit/lie there...."

Mommy, Papa and the 'Nuts said...

Nirit, would you like to chime in on if you think I only allow CHRISTMAS colors and shapes?

But OF COURSE! (Is the answer...) I'm crushing my children's creativity...maybe. No I'm not. Its just festive. Whatever. A mild case of OCD never hurt anyone.

PINK dogs and cats eh? I'm totally sending you a tree Tara, or a Santa...a star? Candy cane?

Alexandra said...

Candy canes, 99 pence in the shops, still to be bought and put on the tree but hey! we do have 3 days to go! (Let's see if I manage the planned entry about Tara-meets-Father-Christmas that I meant to write, err, one month ago, roughly :-(

Scott & Yael said...

I'm totally impressed! I do not attempt such things when I have two children in my care unless hubby is around to watch them. There is no way my OCD personality could ever ignore flour getting into everything. Even when I'm on the 'happy pill'. Good job!

The Allen's said...

errrmm, isn't this the second post that Leo has spent on the table......lol

Scott & Yael said...

But again, about the whole putting the baby on the table business - you are SOOOOOO lucky you don't live in the US. If a neighbor happened to see something like this in this country, you would be reported to child services. Then again, just about anything will get you reported to child services in this country. I think it's cute!

Alexandra said...

Tanya, it's just the second POST with Leo on the table... it's actually the same DAY (same outfit) - this is the pace at which I get to post :-(
Really the table is quite a safe place for a baby that does not roll yet, luckily. Later I'll have to put him on the floor, however full of flour that is! No, later I'll have a sling that's easy to put on, different from the one we're using now!

Anonymous said...

Yes, we are very lucky indeed. In this country if a neighbour sees a gun in your kitchen is very likely that he will report it to the police!! Outrageous!! Children on tables are OK so far….

Jose

Scott & Yael said...

I highly recommend the Ergo Baby Carrier. I use it ALL the time. Baby needs to hold his head well though. Aiden has graduated from facing me to being on the hip so he is half facing me and half facing the exciting outer world. When he's even bigger he will be in the same carrier still, but on my back. The Sports version is better for taller people. I LOVE IT! It is so versatile

Alexandra said...

Uh, Yael, SPOT ON! That's exactly the one I mean by "a sling that's easy to put on!" Don't seem to be able to get it in England though and missed last-order for delivery by my sister - but now that you've said I'll look into US prices as well I guess! :-) great stuff - now it already comes recommended by two people that I trust to have done all the necessary research!!

winky@sarie said...

sweet girl.