Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Cousins and Siblings (or News thereof)


"Ok, everybody! Watch me!" as Tara would say: Watch me and my cousin "Baby" Maja and tell me if you can see any similarities between us!
Honest, if you find one I'll blame it on the photographs, because I really can't see one at all, and it's nothing to do with the fact that Tara is twice her age now that Maja has come over to spend the summer (or rather two weeks thereof) with us.
Hang on, they both like baby dollies... and the cars... and the dolly pushchair... and, well, everything that the other gets to first, really... or maybe it's more a case of Tara spontaneously realising how much she likes and needs this very instant the things Maja has just decided to want to play with... oh, I'm not sure... I think I'll just stick with: my, how different they are; it's amazing!



Still, the occasional little struggle or pinch can't hurt their overall affection for each other. Maja screeches with delight when she lays eyes on Tara in the morning, and Tara is wanting to know exactly where Maja is when she gets up in the morning or comes home from nursery. Maja likes to express her fondness for Tara in spontaneous big hugs (Tara's not fond), while Tara keeps an eye on Maja and tries to make sure she does not hurt herself: "No, Maja you can't go outside, there's no grown-up outside, come back inside!" (Maja is not impressed).


Tara will make an excellent big sister! (And I realise how glad I am there's a significant age gap of over 3 years!)
Talking of which, we've been to our 21 week scan at which an elderly scan lady went over every layer of baby she could get hold of to confirm that our baby was of perfectly average appearance, of perfectly average health, and of perfectly average size - I didn't need her to tell me that I was having a perfectly average preganancy with perfectly average levels of discomfort, weight gain, mobility issues and slightly above-average skin problems. Tara in turn didn't need the lady to tell her that our baby is a perfect baby boy. Just like she knew I was having a baby before I realised, she knew she was having a baby brother, and had told us so matter-of-fact when asked on the way in.

Waiting for baby's 21-week scan

I guess that means noone will fight her for her dollies and dolly push chairs on a regular basis in the near future. Great news, isn't it?

And on that note we're off to Germany for the next two weeks, to eat a fresh Italian ice cream every day, and of course, to check out Maja's toys. Bet you there'll be something worth fighting over!

7 comments:

The Allen's said...

no-one to fight her for her dollies and dolly pushchairs??? I beg to differ. Before they are conditioned to behave otherwise, little boys luuurrve dollies and pushchairs (I even have photo evidence on my blog). Ben used to push jasmine's pushchairs and I know of other little boys whose parents have given in and bought them their own pushchairs.......
Congrats on the healthy baby!

Scott & Yael said...

They look absolutely nothing alike! When are you coming back?

Nirit, Thiemo, Lia and Ben said...

IT'S A BOY!!!
Or a male gummibear, that is.
Congratulations!

Mommy, Papa and the 'Nuts said...

Congrats...again. We'll send you a stroller for him to have of his own. Lorenzo LOOOOVES baby strollers....I agree with Miss. Allen! (Phew!) Oh, and a baby to breastfeed too, why not?

Ummm, Italian ice cream in Germany? Hmpf. Did Nirit smuggle some into the country?

Mommy, Papa and the 'Nuts said...

Oops, Tara's package will be waiting for you when You get home!!! If you're missing M&M's, blame JOSE!!!

Alexandra said...

The Italians got here long before Nirite... they migrate like birds with fridges for the summer to run like 5 ice cream parlours all within three minutes walking of each other (and usccessfully so), and Tara is addicted to the Marshmallow variety (which they may or may not have invented for German child customers). Come winter, they lock up and disappear to Italy to defrost. They look well grumpy too, poor cold souls, but it's great stuff they sell, in about 50 varieties.
So much on Italian ice cream. Now, are you doing me a baby shower for my boy or what? Don't forget to invite the wonderful and wise Mrs Allen and make sure she does some Thai cooking!

Kai's mum said...

Congratulations Alex! I wasn't very sure when I first read about baby scan - that doesn't seem to happen in your plan in the near future - as you were talking about your new job before I reluctantly disappear from blogspot. Then suddenly I realised that it has been three years since your last child (Tara). Time has gone so fast! Yes, it's the good time for another child, or another ... :-)
I was watching "knocked up" two days ago, and revised pregnancy and giving birth. (Sorry, not scientific videos) Nice. Good luck with your pregnancy!
I am sure if I am having the second child (who are not planned yet), he should be called Gecko or kunky (for monkey), as Kai is saying these two words all the time.